Search site
Royal Court header image 1 Royal Court header image 2 Royal Court header image 3 Royal Court header image 4


Marriages in Guernsey can involve either a religious ceremony or a civil one. 

Before marrying in a civil ceremony or in a non-Church of England church, you must first obtain a licence from the Registrar-General. 

Whether you are marrying in a religious or a civil ceremony, you must ensure that two witnesses, aged 18 or over, attend your ceremony and sign the marriage register.

Civil Marriages and Non Church of England Marriages
The solemnisation of a civil marriage or one carried out in a non Church of England church in Guernsey may only take place under the authority of a certificate, a licence or a special licence of the Registrar-General.  The circumstances under which a certificate, a licence or a special licence are needed will vary, but depend largely on your period of residence in Guernsey.  Please contact the Registry team at the Office of HM Greffier by telephone or email for further guidance on this area. 

If you are not ordinarily resident in Guernsey, but intend to get married in the Island, then please contact the Registry team at the Office of HM Greffier for further guidance.

Civil marriages can take place at the Royal Court, at St James Concert and Assembly Hall or, in the case of local residents, at any private house (for which a Special Licence will be issued).  The marriage room at the Royal Court can accommodate a maximum of 20 people.  Greater capacity is available at St James Concert and Assembly Hall.

Notice and Date of Marriage
In order to give Notice of Marriage, you will need to visit the Office of HM Greffier at the Royal Court in person.  Click here for further information about the location of and access to the Royal Court.  Both parties to the Marriage need to attend to give Notice. 

It is necessary to make an appointment to give Notice of Marriage by contacting the Registry team by telephone.

It is not possible to give Notice of Marriage more than three months before the marriage, but it is recommended that you contact the Registry team at the Greffe as soon as possible after you have decided to be married so that you can be advised on the type of Notice of Marriage that will be appropriate to your circumstances and so that a provisional date and time for it can be arranged.

When giving Notice of Marriage, each of you will need to provide the following information:

  • Surname and Christian name(s)
  • Age
  • Marital Status
  • Rank, state or profession
  • Residence and length of residence
  • Name and profession of father

Each party will need to provide their full birth certificate and, if married before, a copy of the Final Order of Divorce (Decree Absolute) or a copy of the death certificate of their spouse.

Church of England Marriages
If you are intending to get married in a church of the Church of England, then no reference to the Registrar-General at the Greffe is required.  All arrangements are made by the minister of the Church involved.  Alternatively, you can contact the Ecclesiastical Court for further guidance.  After your marriage has taken place, the minister will notify the Registrar-General of your marriage.

Marriage Certificate
Marriage certificates are available from the Registry team at the Greffe.  They are priced at £20 and are usually available for collection within one working day of request.