Her Majesty's Greffier is the Registrar-General of births, deaths and marriages and is authorised to licence and supervise civil marriages.
The Registry team at the Greffe undertake a wide variety of duties, including:
- Maintaining a record of all births in Guernsey and providing birth certificates
- Maintaining a record of all deaths in Guernsey, after examining the associated certification, and providing death certificates
- Liaising with the Law Officers of the Crown whenever the circumstances of a death suggest that further enquiries may be necessary
- Liaising with the Director of Public Health, hospitals and other health professionals to ensure that all births and deaths are promptly declared
- Interviewing couples planning to marry and advising them on the associated requirements
- Conducting civil marriages, either at the Court Building, at St James Concert and Assembly Hall, in private residences or at any Church or Chapel
The Registry is open to the public on weekdays between 9am and 4pm.
If you have any queries on the above matters, you can contact the Registry team at the Office of HM Greffier by telephone or email. Further information is available by following the links below.
Registration of Births
Registration of Deaths